Sunday 10 March 2024

Congo Crisis Update

I have made a little new progress on my Congo Crisis forces.  First up, I have built two .50 cal armed jeeps.  The one of the left will be painted for 5 Commando, and the right-hand one for 6 Commando.

The vehicles were cheap 1/48 scale Willys Jeep plastic kits from eBay.  The gunners are from Brigade Games in the US.  In the left-hand jeep the diver and radio operator are 1st Corp WW2 Para jeep crew.  The driver has a head swap for a Westwind separate British para head.  On the right-hand jeep the driver is a Dixon miniatures WW2 US figure with a Mongrel miniatures merc head I had left over from a previous head swap.  The passenger is another 1st Corps para with an Empress miniatures Indochina French Bigeard head.


These figures are Aden Emergency British from Eureka miniatures with heads swaps.  The heads for the two in M1 helmets come from Empress Miniatures.  The figure at the back has  ahead from the Perry Natal Native Contingent pack.  I'm not sure if he will end up an ANC soldier or a Simba yet.  The figure on the left has a Crooked Dice head.

Previously I thought the Eureka miniatures would be too small to go with the Mongrel miniatures I have for most of my mercenaries but after head swaps they actually go quite well.  The rifles are very similar in size and that counts more as people vary in size but kits often doesn't.  The figure second from the left is a from the Eureka African Wars range, a ZANLA guerrilla.  I will use thees figures to make the better quality Simba units that were backed and trained by Uganda, Tanzania or the Cuban mission under Che Guevara.

2 comments:

  1. Those head swaps are a quality effort! They go a long way to increase the variety and flexibility of the awesome Eureka Minis figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. I was pleased. They go nicely with the Mongrel figures. There are more poses with the Glengarry cap heads too.

      Delete